Re: Stagnating Terrariums...

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 19 1998 - 07:32:17 PST

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:32:17 -0500 (EST)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Stagnating Terrariums...

> Group,
>
> I wanted to get another question that I've been meaning to ask for
> awhile... How do you keep a nearly sealed terrarium, make that CP
> terrarium, free from stagnation?
> Just wondering how everyone else does it or is this just one of the

> ... Richard

I'm not sure what your problem is. I have had several terrariums that have
been kept for many years without any smell or visible deterioration. The
oldest is about 11 years old. - But then again, maybe I just have a poor sense
of smell!

Anyway FWIW, a few basics you have probably already considered: 1) get
rid of any peat or native soils that may be on the plants, 2) make sure
the terrariums have enought light for plant growth without cooking them
in direct sunlight, 3) make sure the terrariums are not contaminated
with fertilizers such as may occur if they were previously used for
fish, 4) dont't fertilize.

Tom in Fl