RE: Stagnating Terrariums...

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Thu Mar 19 1998 - 05:58:00 PST

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 08:58:00 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Stagnating Terrariums...

> How do you keep a nearly sealed terrarium, make that CP
>terrarium, free from stagnation?

> I've now tried a couple different ways including:

> Setup 1:

        1 Inch Course Gravel
        1 Inch Activated Carbon
        3 Inches Sphagnum Moss (Dead Long Fiber)

> Setup 2:

        4 Inches Sphagnum Moss (Dead Long Fiber)
        Activated Charcol Mixed Heavily Throughout

Hi Richard,

My set-up is just a mild variation of yours. I have a 1 inch layer of
charcoal with several inches of dead long-fibered sphagnum on top also
mixed with perlite and charcoal. On top of that is live sphagnum moss,
which might be the secret to keeping it from stinking. Mine has been
set up for a year and I've never noticed any smell. I also added an
airstone that is submerged beneath the 2 inches of water on the bottom
but didn't do that until 6 months after the initial set up. I
occassionally fertlize some of the orchids that are also kept in the
tank so the opportunity for a nasty smell to get going is there. All
that makes me think it's the live sphagnum. It might smell at the
bottom of the tank but by the time the air gets above the mix, the
sphagnum has done something to it. Maybe they also do the same thing we
hear that trees do: reduce pollution.

David