Curious behaviours

From: Ide Laurent (ide@arcadis.be)
Date: Mon Mar 30 1998 - 12:15:04 PST

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 21:15:04 +0100
From: Ide Laurent <ide@arcadis.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Curious behaviours

Hi list

My D. scorpioides is producing gemmae for the second time this season ! So,
maybe three months after the last time...

I fed my VFT with a too big fly. The trap didn't close completely, and I was
afraid for trap rotting. But, although the fly was well living when I put it
in the leaf, the trap finally reopened... Meanwhile the fly was dead, of
course. Is it a kind of self protection ?

I noticed numerous gnats sucking the nectar on the VFT traps, but none of them
did close on these small preys. Though, I've seen these gnats being caught by
the same plant in the smallest traps from end of last year. Are the trigger
sensitive to the 'weight' of the prey ? Do they need a minimal impulse to
function ?

Laurent