Re: Nepenthes humidity requirements

From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Tue Mar 31 1998 - 13:18:05 PST

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 16:18:05 -0500
From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes humidity requirements

     I live in Maryland, USA, and I was wondering if the humidity here
     is
high enough to grow highland and lowland Nepenthes outside in direct
sun. I assume that at least some people on the list are familiar with
the humidity in this area of the United States. I live at sea level
within walking distance of a bay. Does anybody know if the Nepenthes
will grow well outside? Thanks. TheEdge@amdyne.net
 Check the weather report in your area each night for a week or two.
 This will
give you a good indication of your humidity average. If you find that
your humidity averages 50% or better, this should be all right for most
nephs. If indeed you live close to the bay, your humidity should
average higher. Introduce your plants to the outside Slowly. This is
the best advice I can give you. This is considered "Hardening Off" and
should save your plants from going into shock. Start with an hour the
first day and build up from there. What excites me is putting your
plants in direct sun light. This is a sure way to burn them up. I
suggest hanging them on a low branch out of direct sunlight and wind.
Maybe some filtered morning sun light or afternoon sunlight as time goes
on, but be very careful with aquarium grown plants. I am not a Neph
expert by no mean, but the few I have seems to like the tree method.
Maybe our Neph experts can add more information to this subject, but
just be careful at first.
                        Charles Brewer