Re: Nepenthes humidity requirements

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Sat Mar 28 1998 - 16:18:56 PST

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 19:18:56 +6700 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes humidity requirements

 TheEdge@amdyne.net wrote:

> I currently have some different species of Nepenthes...
> ...If possible I would like to move them outside in open air
> during the spring, summer, and early fall.
> I live in Maryland, USA, and I was wondering if the humidity here is
> high enough...

Don't do it--you'll be sorry. I live in Maryland as well, just outside
of DC, and my experience with Nepenthes tells me that the weather around
here is too variable for the plants to be happy outdoors. The humidity
is too variable even in the Summer but especially in the Spring and Fall.

I had a N. alata with 14 pitchers on it. The plant grew to its splendor
in the Winter in an (artificial) environment of moderate temps, good
light, and constant humidity of over 60%. In May the outside humidity
crept up along with the temperature, so I put the plant outside in
the shade of a tree. (Note that growing these things in sunlight is
NOT recommended if they've been under artificial lights for a while; it
could take weeks to acclimate the plant to direct sunlight).

Within 4 days all the pitchers shrivelled up. A magnificent plant turned
into a very ordinary plant, relatively quickly. I have similar stories
to tell regarding other species and hybrids. Note also that the plants are
susceptible to local pests if you keep them outdoors in the yard.

Of course, you can _try_ it if you'd like, but I'd recommend trying it
with a single plant that you have more than one of. Around here, I
know of no one who puts their Nepenthes outside even in the summer and
who still has nice looking plants.

Regards,

Perry Malouf