Re: Ping Question?

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat May 09 1998 - 04:50:33 PDT

Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 12:50:33 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Ping Question?

In message <199805090529.WAA05926@hplms26.hpl.hp.com>, Cameron & Gyorgyi
Sutt <thesutts@sound.net> writes
>Earlier, I asked about whether it was possible to grow p. vulgaris (I think
>that's what it is) outside, in the shade, when the temps get up to
>35+C(96+F). I never received any replies. If someone has the time, please
>help me out here.

I think you will probably be able to grow the plants at these
temperatures. You might like to try a few tricks to keep the plants
cooler though.

Try growing in a terracotta pot. These pots are porous and allow
evaporation from the sides which in turn helps to keep the plants cool.
Unfortunately this also means more regular watering. However if you
water from above with chilled water this will also help matters anyway.

You may find with the higher temperatures that the plants go dormant
earlier. As long as the plants have at least a few months growth this
should be enough to enable them to build up their reserves. My P.
corsicas nearly all go dormant by late June and in hot summers othe
species can follow soon after.

Hope this helps.

--
Phil Wilson