Re: in a hot climate

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Thu May 14 1998 - 00:36:45 PDT

Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 07:36:45 +0000
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: in a hot climate

>Hi Jared,
>
>> in the greenhouse too. I grow all kinds of plants that are not
>> necessarily of xeric nature (for all of you laughing and picturing
>> sand dunes) including Amorphophallus, bromeliads, etc. Any of you in
>> the thick of heat like me?
>

>Even though I don't think a CP, Drosophyllum lusitanicum, should do
>fine for you. It is a very large Sundew and it doesn't like any
>moisture on it's stem for more than a few hours (a good soaking
>followed by a cloudy day or two is a virtual death sentence),

... And that is how I probably killed mine. It was outside, in a two month
hot drought spell; thrifty, covered with bugs and at nearly three feet
tall, putting out new leaves in a _big_ pot of sand that you could stick
your finger into to your third knuckle without feeling moisture. I left it
out in a heavy fog that turned to drizzle overnight. The top of the soil
was wet down to about half an inch. The sun came out the next day and
stayed, but the weather had become muggy for the rest of the week. Ten days
later it was gone. I kept the pot and roots for a year, but it never came
back (sigh). I was warned; but it was worth the trouble it took to grow for
two years, just to have it the once. Drosophyllum is a real beauty.

>but several inches underground,
>the roots can handle a much higher level of moisture.
>
>Dave Evans

Kind Regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson