Re: Sarracenia psittacina

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed May 27 1998 - 13:59:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 27 May 98 16:59 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia psittacina

> I read two digests ago that someone had a problem with psittacina. It was
> sending "thousands" of leaves and they were all small. That's exactly the
> problem I have. Even worse: the new leaves are completey green, although
> the old ones have a soft red colour. The insects don't even fit the trap.
> The plant looks like grass.
> Personally, I think that the problem is not the light. Mine receives some
> hours (maybe 3 or more) of direct sun light and the rest of the day it is
> in a very bright place. I really don't know what's the problem. It may be
> humidity, as I keep my psittacina outdoors. Any other suggestions?

Dear Confused Sarracenia Growers,

   I have had the same thing occur to one of my S.psittacina. I believe
you could call it crestate. Something causes the growth point to either
sort of spread out and increase it's width or lenght or both; or the
area of the stem near the apical meristem gets damages causing problems
with the flow of hormones throught the stem, in turn causing many, many
nodes to become active thus dividing the plant's resources to many, many
new branches and none of them get large. I'm still waiting to see if
mine reverts back to normal (this will be it's third year doing it, if
it keeps it up!) or not... BTW, I don't know either of my theories are
correct.

Dave Evans

P.S. perhaps this is a form of plant cancer, and is fatal when it occurs
in wild plants that have to compete. I don't know if plants can get cancer
though.