RE: Stratification

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Fri May 29 1998 - 09:18:00 PDT

Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 12:18:00 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Stratification

>The stratification mechanism functions identically in ALL seeds
requiring
>it. Dr. Deno has found that the temperature threshold is around 50 F.
>He uses 40 F (standard refrig temperature) for his experiments. He has
>also found that release from dormancy begins after 2 months and is
>complete by 3 months Time is independent of temperature provided it is
>remains below 50 F. The only effective stratification is 3 months at
>40 F or less. Freezing is NOT required.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the great info. Your comments imply that referigerated Sarr
seed do not need to be kept damp during refrigeration to ensure
stratification. True?
 I'd like to know if anyone on the list has germinated the same seed
with refrigerated storage and damp, refrigerated storage.

It seems that I remember someone on the list comparing the germination
of frozen Sarr seed to unstratified seed and got higher germiantion
rates from frozen seed. I think the point about freezing seed is that
it's not that it is required but rather that it is a way to quickly
stratify seed when someone doesn't want to wait 3 months.

David