Taxonomists are not guilty!

From: JWi5770869@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 12 1998 - 02:15:20 PDT

Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 05:15:20 EDT
From: JWi5770869@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Taxonomists are not guilty!

You wrote:

specimens to the supplier or source under the supplied or assumed name. (I
have no interest in how many "different" plants I have as I am not in a race
with anyone - which explains why i can never answer the question "how many do
you have?".) If some taxonomists (empasis on some) felt less pressurised to
publish then we would probably see a lot fewer varieties and forms listed!!!

(Oh I do hope this begins a juicy argument with some taxonomists. It's been a
long time since I had a good internet argument!)

I broadly agree with you on this,however I'm not entirely convinced that we
should be blaming the taxonomists for this (BTW I'm not a taxonomist). Most of
the strange 'forms' seem to stem from the growers as in 'Sarracenia flava
anyplace' etc ad nauseum.
Until someone, ANYBODY (please!) gets a handful of these forms and does a
genetic analysis to show that there's little or no difference between them,
the happier I'll be!!!

BTW I'm glad to see my request on white flowered grandiflora has generated
such debate. If you are growing it (I now know somebody is) PLEASE get in
touch.

John Wilden

Southport. Lancs. UK.