Re: P. primuliflora lifespan

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue Jul 07 1998 - 19:52:00 PDT

Date:    Tue, 07 Jul 98 22:52 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: P. primuliflora lifespan

> Does Pinguicula primuliflora have a limited lifespan, or should it grow
> indefinitely under good conditions? Twice in the past four years, my P.
> primuliflora has suddenly died shortly after flowering. Each time, it
> produced several plantlets at tips of its leaves, so I haven't been left
> without a plant. The consistent timing of these events immdiately after
> flowering makes me wonder if this is a natural part of the plants life
> cycle. I should mention, though, that it doesn't happen every time the
> plant flowers. Is this normal, or is my culture somehow lacking? I
> think Peter D'Amato's new book mentions that P. primuliflora may be
> shortlived in cultivation, but he didn't give much detail. Can anyone
> comment?

Dear Nick,

   Well, no they are not short lived and can go for many years. They
are very easy to kill, however. I grow mine in a terrarium along with
the largest D.schizandra (sp?) I've ever seen (now, if I could only figure
out how to propagate that Drosera!!!) and the other two Queensland Sundews.
I feel that if you want to grow P.primuliflora, you must use Sphagnum moss
as the soil. While they can survive for a for a time in other soils, they
often decline and croak within a season or two. I do not have the Drosera
growing in the Sphagnum though as they prefer a peaty mix with large
grained sand.
   All these plants like low light and that is why I have them together,
but the Pings can handle brighter light than the Queensland Sundews.
They would not be as large (the rosettes are wider than the palm of mine
hand) though, if the lighting was increased.
   Flowering is affected by the day length. In the winter they recieved
11 hours of light, now they get 13. The week after I increased the light,
flower buds started to appear and the rosettes increasing in diameter.
So far, I have been unable to pollinate for seed, but I think I can trick
them into flowering again soon for another try. Anyone have any tips for
pollinating P.primuliflora?

Good luck,
Dave Evans