fir bark -v- orchid bark

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@eskimo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 25 1998 - 11:24:01 PDT

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 11:24:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: fir bark -v- orchid bark

Hi Joe, Hi All,

> I have always beeen curious. Can anyone explain what the difference
> between
> what is sold as Orchid Bark around here(Nebraska) for a good chunk of
> change and cheaper bags of bark like Western Fir Bark and other bark
> products sold at Garden Centers?
        Being a cheap sod on occasion a few years ago I investigated
gingerly the question posted above. Except for a good deal of fine
material in the fir bark mix, there is no difference between growing
Nepenthes in fir bark or in 'orchid bark'. In fact I discovered that
orchid bark in reality is fir bark that has been washed and sieved.
This in mind I buy the fine grade of fir bark and use it along with peat
and perlite as follows, 2:2:1 bark, perlite and peat. This is a great
mix. If I want a 'seedling' mix I sieve the fir bark for the fines and
use them. Otherwise I leave them in as they break up the mix and
stretch the peat, coarse chunk peat being expensive and harder to find
all the time I often use the regular peat, which needs the extra sticks
and twigs. So, go ahead and save more then a few pennies and buy the
fine grade western fir bark. Use it with success and use the savings to
buy another Nepenthes. Also, this bark works just as well on orchids.
Why shouldn't it actually as it is unwashed, unsieved orchid bark. The
few Bromeliads and Cycads I have also thrive in it.
        Best wishes Andrew