Cephalotus

From: Ide Laurent (ide@arcadis.be)
Date: Tue Aug 25 1998 - 11:00:12 PDT

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 19:00:12 +0100
From: Ide Laurent <ide@arcadis.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cephalotus

Hi Emre

and all other CPers.

When I've received my Cephalotus, it was in a poor condition. Actually the
soil was pure peat, so wet it was rotting and smelling, something brown and
slimy. Considering the plant will die in this medium, I decided to repot it.
It was in may (last year). I cleaned the peat between the roots, as far it was
possible, so you can imagine if they were shocked ! I used the method of
surrounding the roots with sphagnum, and it worked. I don't remember exactly
the mix I used, probably perlite and peat. Later, overfeeding the plant with
Superthrive, it began to burn and, losing numerous leaves, I decided to repot
it again to better conditions, sand, perlite, peat, and a basket as pot.
Again, the plant perfectly recovered. It's now rather beautiful, with a lot of
pitchers, not so big yet (one inch ? 2-3 cm). Getting sun in the morning, the
red coloration appeared in summer. The medium is well drained, the plants is
in a small propagator and gets humidity rather in the air than in the soil.

Hope this helps

Laurent