Cephalotus advice

From: Mark Pogany (markp@en.com)
Date: Fri Aug 28 1998 - 12:19:10 PDT

Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 15:19:10 -0400
From: "Mark Pogany" <markp@en.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cephalotus advice

Cyril wrote:

I just got my first cephalotus (I know, who cares :) )
the problem is I didn't get the manual.......
Can anyone tell me what to do and most important what NOT to do ?

ADVthanksANCE

Cyril 'wOb' Fournillon
primary: wOb@chez.com
others that also work: wOb@mail.dotcom.fr or fournill@capway.co

Cephalotus can be quite tricky to establish, especially if they are acquired
through the mail. They hate any root disturbance. Repotting can set them
back but sometimes it is necessary. They enjoy an open, sandy mix of peat,
silica, and pine bark mulch in containers no smaller than 5". I have found
that after unpacking and repotting the plant usually goes through a period
of extreme shock. Mine have lost most of their leaves within days of this
action. I just stick the potted up specimens in a small fish tank, mist with
a dilute fungicide, place a clear cover over said structure, and illuminate
with 2 40- watt fluorescents for 14 hours a day. You want to keep the medium
on the moist side without overdoing it. Your ceph may look like nothing more
than dried out and dead leaf litter at this stage. Providing the below
ground portion is still healthy you should see signs of new growth within a
month. Once strongly established in its pot a ceph can take environmental
fluctuations with ease, though they do best with moderate humidity, half to
full sun, and temperatures between 50 - 90f.

A few words of caution- this genus grows very slowly, much moreso than a
Dioneae or Drosera.

Good luck! Cephalotus is a very rewarding plant to cultivate.

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio

markp@en.com