Re: Getting Started

From: Ron Sbragia (RonsMail@sj.bigger.net)
Date: Tue Sep 22 1998 - 22:43:29 PDT

Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 22:43:29 -0700
From: Ron Sbragia <RonsMail@sj.bigger.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Getting Started

>I'm planning to buy some plants within the next couple of weeks, but am
>not sure about what to do when the plants go dormant(I live in
>Berkeley,Ca and the plants will be in mini-bogs outdoors). I'm
>concerned that I won't know if I've killed them(since I'm new to this)
>or if they're going dormant. How will I know for sure? Also, do I let
>the soil dry out when they go dormant or just keep it damp?

I live near Berkeley. My mini-bogs are about one foot deep. They have
plugs
which I keep in in the summer and remove in the winter, once the rains
start. In the summer I flood the bogs to near the soil level once a
week, unless
it's especially hot. My S. flava took a beating while I was gone the
first week
of last month, which was apparently hot and dry.

Depending on the species, of course, many plants will stay green and
some will continue growing (slowly) during the winter.
Ron Sbragia