Getting Started

From: IMMETAL@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 19 1998 - 23:13:11 PDT

Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 02:13:11 EDT
From: IMMETAL@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Getting Started

Hi, All,

I'm new to CP's and have yet to purchase my first one, but I have a couple of
questions.

I'm planning to buy some plants within the next couple of weeks, but am not
sure about what to do when the plants go dormant(I live in Berkeley,Ca and the
plants will be in mini-bogs outdoors). I'm concerned that I won't know if I've
killed them(since I'm new to this) or if they're going dormant. How will I
know for sure? Also, do I let the soil dry out when they go dormant or just
keep it damp?

I also have a nice population of butterflies that frequent my yard and I'm a
bit concerned about their victimization by the CP's. I assume they're
vulnerable. If I am correct in this assumption, does anyone know if there is a
plant to which they would be so much more attracted that they would resist
seduction by the carnivores? And then I also have hummingbirds, but since
they don't usually land when they feed, I figure they'll be okay. Does anyone
have any reassurances on this? And last but not least, how about my
dog.....(just kidding)

If anyone can answer any of my questions, I'd be most grateful!!

Melisa