Re: Getting Started

From: L235@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 21 1998 - 13:27:39 PDT

Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:27:39 EDT
From: L235@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Getting Started

> I'm new to CP's and have yet to purchase my first one, but I have a couple
> of
> questions.

Smart approach! (much smarter than the way I got into the hobby)

> I'm planning to buy some plants within the next couple of weeks, but am not
> sure about what to do when the plants go dormant(I live in Berkeley,Ca and
> the plants will be in mini-bogs outdoors). I'm concerned that I won't know
if I'
> ve
> killed them(since I'm new to this) or if they're going dormant. How will I
> know for sure? Also, do I let the soil dry out when they go dormant or just
> keep it damp?

Depends on the plant ... Sarracenia species will lose their leaves (or most of
them after a hard frost) but the rhizomes will continue to be healthy and
phyllodia (winter leaves) may be produced in some species. Temperate Drosera
will form winter buds (which remain green in most species ... at least firm
... quite different than a mushy black, dead plant) Venus Flytraps (Dionaea)
usually just slow down or stop their growth as long as the temperatures aren't
too extreme).

There are some on the listserve in the East Bay area who can better tell you
what plants do specifically in your area.

> I also have a nice population of butterflies that frequent my yard and I'm
> bit concerned about their victimization by the CP's. I assume they're
> vulnerable. If I am correct in this assumption, does anyone know if there
is
> plant to which they would be so much more attracted that they would resist
> seduction by the carnivores? And then I also have hummingbirds, but since
> they don't usually land when they feed, I figure they'll be okay. Does
> anyone
> have any reassurances on this? And last but not least, how about my
> dog.....(just kidding)

I find that butterflies of any size (skippers and hairstreaks and some others
notwithstanding) may be attracted to my Sarracenia, but take advantage of the
nectar supply without falling in. I've never found a butterfly in a Venus
Flytrap, but I"m sure it's possible. I have found smaller butterflies in the
largest of my sundews ... D. binata, etc. but it's a rare (again) occurence.

I would be worried about the dog, if your dog has a prediliction towards
digging up bulbs, etc. I have to fight Robins in the spring (they take the
sphagnum for nest building) and Squirrels in the fall (they like to dig up
rhizomes ... but I think it's more to find suitable stash spots for local
hickory nuts rather than to eat the CP directly).
Wandering cats can be a problem as well.

Hope this helps ...

Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)
Ashburn, Virginia, USA