Re: Heliamphora leaf cutting

From: Peter Cole (carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Oct 18 1998 - 01:29:51 PDT

Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 16:29:51 +0800
From: Peter Cole <carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Heliamphora leaf cutting

>Hi,
>Last Sunday, a friend of mine gave me two cuttings of Heliamphora
>Heterodoxa.
>Unfortunally they are rootless. Although they are very small (less then
>8cm height whith 3/4 leafs each) my hope is to root them. I'd like to
>know if there is a succesful method to obtanin cuttings from H.
>Heterodoxa. Actually they're treated as follow :
>
>- one cutting in pure airly peat moss
>- one cutting in pure live sphagnum
>- Both are in an outdoor terrarium with quite high humidity up to 80%
>and a good air circulation
>- Temperature is between 17C (night) and 22C (day).
>- Artificial light: three 18W Grolux, one cool white fluorescent 18W
>tube 30cm from the soil surface.
>- Natural photoperiod. Here in Genoa (44 parallel) now is about 12hrs.
>
> Am I walking on thin ice or may I have any possibility of success?

This sounds about right - the humidity is critical while they're rooting,
but if you maintain that I don't think you'll have a problem. FWIW I grow
mine in a very open mix of 4 or 5 parts perlite to 1 of peat, with a "collar"
of live sphagnum around the crown of the plant about 3-4cm deep.
Mist them regularly (daily if possible,) and topwater regularly rather than
standing them in water. Good ventilation is very important too.
The lighting sounds fine - I have mine under 3x30W cool white strips.
I've never noticed a difference with the more expensive grolux-type tubes,
so I don't bother with them. I keep them on a 14 hr photoperiod all year,
and they grow vigorously at all times. I think very long days as well as
short winter ones can be upsetting for them.

        Good luck

                        Peter

mailto:carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk : http:www.flytrap.demon.co.uk/cchome.htm
Cambrian Carnivores,17,Wimmerfield Cr.,SWANSEA,SA2 7BU, UK : tel 01792 205214
Carnivorous Plants,Seeds & Tissue Culture Kits - mailorder,export & wholesale