Re: red splotches.

From: Peter Cole (carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Oct 18 1998 - 01:29:53 PDT

Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 16:29:53 +0800
From: Peter Cole <carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: red splotches.

Hi Marc,

sounds like sunburn to me - I shade my Neps with 50% shadecloth to
prevent similar symptoms which seem particularly evident in
N.madagascariensis and N.ampullaria if left in full sun. Others
like ventricosa and alata seem more tolerant, and develop a nice even
"tan" instead of spots.
My climate here in Wales is of course much gentler than yours in FA.

        Hope this helps,

                        Peter

>Question to all, although especially to South Florida CP growers who
>experience the same growing conditions I do.
>
>I often find red splotches, almost like a rash, on a good deal of my
>Nepenthes plants. I have used fungicide many times on them and find that
>it works "moderately" well at best. Is this "rust spot" fungus and if so
>is there a way to truly remove it? It is very persistent.
>
>(The plants that show it do not necessarily share any common
>denominators...some are true lowland species, some lowland hybrids, some
>lowland-highland hybrids....and believe it or not, some plants just never
>get it at all.)
>
>Any thoughts?
mailto:carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk : http:www.flytrap.demon.co.uk/cchome.htm
Cambrian Carnivores,17,Wimmerfield Cr.,SWANSEA,SA2 7BU, UK : tel 01792 205214
Carnivorous Plants,Seeds & Tissue Culture Kits - mailorder,export & wholesale