Frog droppings, and highlanders (was nepenthes again)

From: Christer Berglund (christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se)
Date: Wed Oct 28 1998 - 12:06:12 PST

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 21:06:12 +0100
From: Christer Berglund <christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Frog droppings, and highlanders (was nepenthes again)

Perry Malouf wrote:

> Nepenthes which are starved of nutrients (soil nutrients, pitcher prey,
> light) will not do well, so the question is somewhat moot. Did you > mean
> starved of soil nutrients only? My plants are in a nutrient-poor
> potting

Sorry for the confusion. I meant no feeding/fertilizer, but still giving
the plant good light and water. Thanks for answering my questions.

Here is two more questions for you CP people:

I've read (in The Savage Garden) that pitcher plants may utilize the
excrement from frogs/shrews/birds. I also keep poison arrow frogs so I
was thinking of feeding the pitchers frog droppings. Anyone tried it
already, problems?

Any research been done why highland nepenthes need the nighttime
temperature drop (except that it's an adaptation to their natural
habitat)? Does it affect the plants physiology or is it not the temp
drop itself but the result of it, that is increased humidity nighttime,
which the plants need to survive the drier days?

Regards,

--
Christer Berglund
E-mail: christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se