RE: Nepenthes humidity question

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Tue Jan 19 1999 - 05:58:21 PST

Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 08:58:21 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Nepenthes humidity question

> To solve this problem, I thought about one
>solution: I'd open a hole in the terrarium's lid and let the plant continue
>growing outside it. But there's a big difference in humidity in and out...
>How would the plant react?

I can't believe I'm answering a Nepenthes question (hint, hint!)

The leaves that grow outside your terrarium are very likely not to produce
traps. I wanted to wait a few more months before reporting the following
observations about two Nepenthes in my house that are now growing outside
their terrarium, but this question fits right in my observations so far.
One Nepenthes has a leaf and tendril completely outside the terrarium and no
trap has formed. The other Nepenthes has about 25% of one leaf still in the
terrarium with the remaining leave outside but the tendril has dipped back
into the terrarium. The tip of the tendril is starting to enlarge and is on
its way to forming a trap. Another leaf is completely outside the terrarium
but its tip has dipped back into the terrarium. It hasn't done anything
yet.

David
Atlanta