RE: Drosophyllum germination

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Tue Jan 19 1999 - 06:13:50 PST

Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:13:50 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Drosophyllum germination

>I received some Drosophyllum seed today and was wondering what
>techniques people use for germinating seed and for planting afterwards

Hi Chris,

I use a mix of 10 - 20 percent peat with the remaining ingredients equal
parts (roughly) sand and perlite. Seeds are placed on top of the mix
and the pot is placed in a tray of water. As each seed germinates and
form a seedling (maybe 0.5 to 1 inch), I repot the seedling into the
same mix and start watering from above when the mix gets almost
completely dry. The seeds and plants grow under fluorescent lights all
year long. I now have 2-year-old Drosophyllums and numerous seedlings.
It's best to have only one plant per pot as any extra plants seem to
slowly die off. As you know, Drosophyllums don't like overwatering and
are actually very forgiving when it comes to underwatering. I've found
wilted plants occasionally having misjudged when the mix's dampness.
They come back upon watering.

I plan to put a few outside this spring in an area that gets some direct sun
but no rain and may try one outside that gets rain.

David
Atlanta