Re: Question about range of D. rotundifolia

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Sun May 09 1999 - 22:25:50 PDT

Date:          Sun, 9 May 1999 22:25:50
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Question about range of D. rotundifolia

Dear Philip,

> to find it in North Carolina? Mostly I'm interested in ensuring that the
> common Drosera I see are indeed D. capillaris as I expect and not D.
> rotundifolia. I'm not sure I could tell them apart.

If you have ripe seeds, the two can be told apart readily even in the
case of very abnormal specimens. _D. rotundifolia_ has fusiform
(spindle shaped) seeds with a very distinctly prolonged seed coat on
either side of the embryo while the seeds are ovoid in _D.
capillaris_. If you have a microscope you can see large outgrowths
(papillae) on the surface of the seeds of _D.c._, which are lacking
in _D. rotundifolia_.

Kind regards
Jan