RE: CEPHALOTUS

From: Brewer Charles E PHDN (brewerce@nswcphdn.navy.mil)
Date: Mon May 17 1999 - 14:20:55 PDT

Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 17:20:55 -0400
From: Brewer Charles E PHDN <brewerce@nswcphdn.navy.mil>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: CEPHALOTUS

Mike,
 I have about 150 Ceph plants growing at one time. Some are in seedling
stage to mature plants. I usually start my Cephs in an aquarium, then move
them to the greenhouse after one year. In the greenhouse they spend the
winter, spring, fall..will you get the picture, until they are sold or
traded. I do use a fungicide on them from time to time if I detect any
unusual things going on or re potting small plants. generally, good air
circulation is the best fungicide you can use. During our hot summer months
my greenhouse fans stay on almost all day long. It blows just enough air
across the Cephs to keep them fungus free. Additionally, I use large pots to
grow these plants in and I don't sit the pot in water unless the temps are
so high that the soil dries out to quickly. Large pots usually hold enough
water to last the plants for about 2 days before you have to water again.
When watering, I water from the top down, daily during very hot weather
summer months, less often during winter months. I avoid using live sphagnum
moss to grow these plants in even though they grow quite well in it. I have
to many plants to keep cutting back the sphagnum moss all the time. I do top
dress the soil with sifted pine bark or pine needles or course sand. All
works well. If you have to use a fungicide try Ortho 3336, this seems to do
the job without causing any side effects to the Ceph. Hope this helps.
 Charles Brewer
Va. Beach, Va.