_Sarracenia minor_ cultivation in Florida

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Sep 23 1999 - 08:11:56 PDT

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 11:11:56 -0400
From: Steven Stewart <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: _Sarracenia minor_ cultivation in Florida

Hello, Steven Stewart here,
I have great success growing Sarr.minor as well as other Sarracenia
species and hybrids in Central Florida. I am able to produce flowering
size plants in 12-18 months if I transplant on schedule.
The plants I use for seed production are horticulturally produced, seed
grown crosses of individuals from different wild populations, collected
with permits and the Florida Native Plant Society, from roadway
construction sites. I do not consider these plants good candidates for
re-introduction because of this out-crossing I have done. Maybe one of
this listserves botonists would give me insight about their F1 status,
not being from any named cultivars, these plants show hybrid vigor none
the less.
When growing, the plants I have need constantly wet, full sun, warm-hot
conditions, 60-90F. I grow them in 1&3 gallon pots in 2 parts peat-1
part sand. Seedlings are grown in 2" pots, in the greenhouse until
rooted through, 2-8 months, and then put into 6" or 1gal. pots until
flowering size, 6-8" in height. If I do not transplant, the plants
remain 1-2" in height until transplanted. The outdoor three gallon
parent stock plants over the years have gotten to 12" with 40+ pitchers,
at times.
Living in central Florida is a great advantage for growing this species,
my plants are more tropical than the other Sarracenia I grow, in that
they flower year around and often have more traps active in the winter
than in summer, the less food available, the longer the traps last.
Take care,
Steven Stewart
I.B.W. Enterprises Inc.
Sanford, Florida USA