Re: Brocchinia

From: Tassara (strega@split.it)
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 12:59:56 PST

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 21:59:56 +0100
From: strega@split.it (Tassara)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Brocchinia

Hi Howie,

> An interesting note is
>that in the wild, Brocchinia reducta plants are
>extremely tubular and upright with a golden yellow
>color. In cultivation, apparently plants tend to be
>more open and green.
>I water by misting every other day
>with distilled water, and occasionally pour water
>directly down the well, allowing it to trickle out
>between the seams of the leaves.

One cause might be pouring water directly into the well in the center of the
plant: leaves are not very strong and may open.
In the wild plants experience rain, and often heavy rain; however this is by
far less strong than water poured with a bottle.

>It is kept in a competely
>enclosed tank (humidity always 95%+)...

I've found it grows well also with an humidity degree of 60-70%, like many
other bromeliads.

Regards

Filippo Tassara
Genoa, Italy