Re: Rain water collection

From: Joe Martinez (joe@jmmsoftware.com)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 13:12:30 PDT

Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 13:12:30 -0700
From: Joe Martinez <joe@jmmsoftware.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Rain water collection

> The usual way to collect water is by taking the water from a roof.

Excellent! I had thought of that, but I was concerned that substances
from the roof material (I have a composition roof) would contaminate
the water. It it really safe to use?

> You should be able to buy a kit to tap into your rainwater down pipe.
> Usually a water butt is used to collect and store the rainwater. Unless
> you have a very small collection 5 gallons of water will not last you
> very long during the long hot summer months. You can link a number of
> water butts together if you have a large collection.

Do you know where I would buy such a kit?

Another question: How long can rain water be safely stored before it should
be thrown out? Or, is there even a time limit?

Thanks,
    Joe