Re: Grasshoppers!

From: Chris Teichreb (cteichreb@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 07:40:59 PST

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 07:40:59 -0800
From: "Chris Teichreb" <cteichreb@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Grasshoppers!

Hi Miguel,

>We have a plague of grasshoppers here in Tasmania at the moment, so much so
>that a few dozen jump in front of your feet every time you take a step. In

   This is a sign that the end is near. Run for your life ;-)!

>the last couple of weeks they have started eating most of my CPs and
>orchids!!! :(
>
>I have a bog full of Sarrs covered in holes, and some of my soft tender
>orchids have only leaf veins left...
>
>I can't spray, as more just move in from the garden overnight... Needless
>to say there is no room in the house for my collection. Has anyone ever had
>this problem before?

   I've never had this problem before, at least never on this
sort of scale. The only thing I could think of was to cover over
the plants with fine mesh bird netting. I'm not sure how big these
hoppers are, but if they're like other insects from Australia, I'll
assume they're big!

   On somewhat good news, unless the grasshoppers chew your plants
down to the rhizomes, the plants should be ok. I had a serious
infestation of slugs on my S.purps this past year, holes in every
pitcher, but they never seemed to consume the entire pitcher and
by mid-summer, when things dried out a bit, the plant came back
into full healthy growth.

Good luck!

Chris

--