Soil PH

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Tue Apr 08 1997 - 18:00:05 PDT

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 21:00:05 -0400
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Soil PH

Here's an interesting situation- I just tested the soil PH in my
backyard with one of those little kits available at most plant and home
stores, and the PH level of my own backyard is about 5.5 to 5.0 (more
like 5.0, officially an acid soil). As a further test I tested some
potting soil which showed up as 6.5 to 7 (more like 6.5)- almost neutral
to very slightly alkaline. My backyard is an old pine forest (I don't
know if any bogs exist back there but I doubt it- there are no real
lakes or ponds.) and the soil is a rich loam of rotting pine needles. I
wonder how a S. purpurea or D. capillaris would do if they were planted
directly in the soil- or more likely in a hollow filled with peat moss
directly into the soil? Anyone ever try this? I'm still thinking of
doing a safe bog set up, but this other idea would be a heck of a lot
easier.
Cheers,
Paul

--