clarification

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Wed Nov 19 1997 - 07:39:13 PST

Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:39:13 -0500 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: clarification

I had posted the following recently:

And Tom Hayes wrote to me privately:

> rather than ask this over the list and have it seem like an accusation -
> Just curious what you were doing digging up N. rajah in the first place,
> never mind in a national park?

Just curious, were you Tom? Why? You say that you don't wish your
statement to appear as an accusation. What is it supposed to be then?

Let me clarify, lest there be others like Tom out there who have read more
from my posting than what I wrote.

Never did I say that I dug up an N. rajah. While I was at Kinabalu
Park I was accompanied by Park personnel. They were collecting various
plants for an exposition, and took a large N. rajah and also a paphiopedilum
rothschildianum (sp?). I have photographs of both, and the N. rajah
photograph shows the relatively small root ball.

Some of this was described in my CPN article, Jan. '96 I think.

I didn't have to dig up anything in order to make my observations. And
I'm happy to report that that same N. rajah plant is doing quite nicely
in the Park's Mountain Garden.

As a footnote I point out that the cp listserver archives contain postings
from Tom Hayes, where he admits to digging up native North American cp
in the wild. Not that anyone really cares, eh Tom?

Somewhat miffed,

Perry Malouf